List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    Re: [OT] Bean::*?
From:       Perrin Harkins <perrin () primenet ! com>
Date:       2000-05-31 23:16:09

On Wed, 31 May 2000, DeWitt Clinton wrote:
> My question is this -- has anyone written an implementation of the
> Java Bean standard in Perl?  I don't think we need to have a major
> debate about the shortcomings of beans on the mod_perl list.  But I am
> wondering if anyone has pulled this off yet.  If we left out the event
> driven parts of the bean spec, and just focused on the property side
> of things, this could be a rather short project to get the core down.

Maybe I'm just being thick, but if you leave out the event driven parts of
the spec, what's left that isn't just an ordinary Perl class?  You can
easily make classes to hold data using Class::Struct or
Class::MethodMaker.

Is it just that you want a safer way to do introspection than looking at
the data structure the class is made from?  Maybe you want the
Class::Fields module from CPAN.

- Perrin