List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    Re: Apache::ASP rules [was: Sorry men]
From:       Tom Peer <tom.peer () virgin ! net>
Date:       2000-04-28 9:19:35

Horror stories?

On a live site when a static page is being accessed NT can lock the page
and not unlock it even when you've stopped the internet service - handy
when you've got someone shouting at you to change a mistake.

If you change the default (eg index.htm) page in a directory to a dynamic
one eg index.asp, IIS will show an older cached version of the page if you
view the page using just the directory name in the URL and th new version
if you call it explicitly.

Oh - and try looking for the error log on IIS.

Also take a look at the IIS version of W3C logs - they're full of corrupt
chunks of HTML (?? - this makes them near impossible to process with PERL
on NT - I had a site once where we zipped up the logs and sent them to a
Linux machine for processing)

Much touted as an advantage of IIS is the Site Server add-on. This is even
worse than IIS.

Index Server is the worst piece of software I have ever worked with. If you
search for two words and have a document that contains 14 occurences of one
word and 1 of another it will rank higher than one with 7 of each. If you
try to catalogue a collection with over about 20,000 pages it can't push
the collection to other servers so you have to set up indexing on all your
servers which is something Microsoft tell you not to do because Indexing
brings your server to a halt.

The LDAP service is a joke. It stops and starts for a hobby and relies on
you first setting NT group permissions on all the folders you want to apply
it to (??). Try ringing MS for LDAP support and you will get to speak to a
lot of very confused people. The last time I tried I waited a week and then
got back a list of people offering IIS training in my area.

And have you ever tried sending mail from an NT server? I tried to use the
Membership stuff to send a weekly newsletter from a $40,000 Compaq server
and worked out it was going to run into next week's letter. Roll on Linux
running on an old Pentium II.

And have you ever tried dialling in remotely?

And my favourite - MS make a great dea about how much of the Linux stuff is
freeware or open source. If you get a runaway process on NT and you can't
kill it - ring up MS Support and they'll recommend installing a shareware
utility called kill. Sure I use shareware to do lots of stuff - but to kill
a process on a mission critical server??

Still it's not all bad...I like the Unix compatibility pack and the GUI
gets more like the Mac every release.

I feel better now.

Tom
 :(