List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    LDAP authentication and mod_auth
From:       Moshe Linzer <moshel () taux01 ! nsc ! com>
Date:       1999-12-29 19:02:54

Hi,

I have installed the ApacheAuthPerLDAP for mod_perl, to do
authentication with an LDAP server.  This is working fine, with the
following config:

<Directory />
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes
    AllowOverride All

    AuthName "NSTA Web - LDAP Authentication"
    AuthType Basic
    PerlSetVar BaseDN o=work.com
    PerlSetVar LDAPServer ldap.work.com
    PerlSetVar LDAPPort 389
    PerlSetVar UIDAttr uid
    require valid-user

    PerlAuthenHandler Apache::AuthPerLDAP
</Directory>

However, I want to allow older File-based authentication techniques to
work if the LDAP fails.  My .htaccess file contains:

AuthName "Moshe's Stuff - Unix Auth"
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /usr/local/www/secure/passwd
AuthGroupFile /usr/local/www/secure/group
require user moshel

But it seems that any userid entered here is still checked against the
LDAP server, not the files!  How do I specify in the .htaccess file
that I want old-fashioned Apache authentication, and not LDAP via
mod_perl?

Thanks,

Moshe

Moshe Linzer                     | Mastery of Unix offers real freedom.
Unix Systems Manager             | The price of freedom is always dear, but
National Semiconductor, Israel   | I'd rather pay for my freedom than live in
Phone: 972-9-970-2247            | a bitmapped, pop-up-happy dungeon like NT.
Fax: 972-9-970-2001              |
Email: moshel@nsc.com            |             - Thomas Scoville, Unix Review