List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    too many open files error
From:       "Mei Zhang" <ZHANGM () ccf ! org>
Date:       1999-09-30 15:44:03

Hello,

This question may not relate to the DBI, but I appreciate any input from =
you.

I have a script which is called by a cron job every midnight to create =
about 2,000 files.
Sometime I received the 'too many open files' error message vai email and =
the script exited when it failed to open a file handler. I tried to run =
the script manually with the same input file, there was no such error =
message.

I doubt that there may not be enought file handler in the system when the =
cron job was running. So I changed the maximum open file limit to 128. But =
it did not resolve the problem.

Within the script, I use the same file handler to open different files and =
close the file handler before I open it again.

Thanks for any help.

Mei  Zhang