List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    Re: HEAD request method?
From:       "Eric L. Brine" <q2ir () unb ! ca>
Date:       1999-07-30 13:21:06

> > The HEAD method was introduced in HTTP/1.1.
> This is not true.  HEAD was a defined method in HTTP/1.0 too.

> > Therefore, Apache might treat
> > a HEAD request as a GET request if it thinks it's in HTTP/1.0 (or /0.9)
> > compatibility mode.
> If this is what happens, then I consider this to be a bug in Apache.

Update:

The HEAD method was indeed introduced in HTTP/1.0, Apache does handle a
HEAD request in HTTP/1.0 mode, but the user I was helping was making an
HTTP/0.9 request.

ELB

=====
> telnet www.unb.ca 80
Trying 131.202.3.39...
Connected to www.unb.ca.
Escape character is '^]'.
HEAD / HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
=====
> telnet www.unb.ca 80
Trying 131.202.3.39...
Connected to www.unb.ca.
Escape character is '^]'.
HEAD /
<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>400 Bad Request</TITLE>
</HEAD><BODY>
<H1>Bad Request</H1>
Your browser sent a request that
this server could not understand.<P>
client sent invalid HTTP/0.9 request: HEAD /<P>
<HR>
<ADDRESS>Apache/1.3.4 Server at www.unb.ca Port 80</ADDRESS>
</BODY></HTML>
=====

--
Eric L. Brine  |  Chicken: The eggs's way of making more eggs.
q2ir@unb.ca    |  Do you always hit the nail on the thumb?