List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    Memory consumption - still problems
From:       Jim Serio <jim () rollercoaster ! com>
Date:       1999-06-30 22:53:42

Linux 2.2.10
Apache 1.3.6

httpd.conf:

PerlFixupHandler Apache::SizeLimit (not, I have this at the
bottom of the file).

mod_perl_startup.pl:

use Apache::SizeLimit;
$Apache::SizeLimit::MAX_PROCESS_SIZE = 10000; # in KB, so this is 10MB

For some reason, about once an hour resources are still being
gobbled up. At one point httpd was 1.2 gigs! (thank GOd
for large swaps).

As a test, I set the MAX_PROCESS_SIZE to 2000 and it seemed
to work. I notice ALOT of (httpd <defunct>) which
tells me they're dying off. And the size never exceed
the intiial 5.4 Megs.

Someone mentioned a kill script that kills off bad
processes (I'm assuming it checks the size?). Could
someone kindly post this script? If anyone has suggestions
to stop the leak's, I'd aprpeciate it. I'll try Apache::Leak
but it seems this is a common problem.

Jim