List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    Newbie Q: DBI persistent connection test
From:       Frank Smith <frank_smith () hotmail ! com>
Date:       1999-05-30 22:14:24

Hi,

I installed Apache, mod_perl. MySQL on Linux. And I want to test whether I
am using persistent connection.  My basic idea is to print the $dbh each
time and see where they are the same.  Following is the code:
#file: TestDBI.pl
use strict;
use DBI;

        use constant DSN  => 'DBI:mysql:testdb';
        use constant DB_USER => 'test';
        use constant DB_PASSWD   => 'test';

        my $dbh1  = DBI->connect(DSN,DB_USER,DB_PASSWD) ;

        my $strSQL = qq{SELECT * FROM mytable);

        my $sth1 = $dbh->prepare($strSQL);
       $sth1->execute();
       print ("DBH1--> $dbh1 \n");

        $sth1->finish();
        $dbh1->disconnect();

        my $dbh2  = DBI->connect(DSN,DB_USER,DB_PASSWD);
        my $dbistring2=$dbh2;
        print ("DBH2stirng --> $dbistring2 \n");

        $dbh2->disconnect();

I run this program by brower ( http://mylinux/cgi-bin/TestDBI.pl ). and
[reload] several time.  Following is the result:
1st time)
DBH1--> DBI::db=HASH(0x82b2260)
DBH2stirng --> DBI::db=HASH(0x82b59f8)

2nd time)
DBH1--> DBI::db=HASH(0x82b2344)
DBH2stirng --> DBI::db=HASH(0x82b59bc)

3rd time)
DBH1--> DBI::db=HASH(0x82b238c)
DBH2stirng --> DBI::db=HASH(0x82b5a7c)

4th time)
<same as 2nd time>

5th time)
DBH--> DBI::db=HASH(0x82b2354)
DBH2stirng --> DBI::db=HASH(0x82b5a44)

6th time)
<same as 2nd time>

So according to the result, is that correct that the 2nd, 4th, 6th reload
are using the same connection and others are not ?
Or they are all using the same connection but I cannot prove it by printing
out $dbh ?

Thanks in advance

frank