List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    RE: Apache::Session::DBI and PerlModule
From:       "G.Richter" <richter () ecos ! de>
Date:       1998-12-28 21:35:50

Hi,

> Hi, and as requested here is more detailled errors about my problem.
>
> I am using Apache::Session::DBI with the sample example.perl program and
> it works fine. (I am using version 0.17).  But since HTML::Embperl tells
> me that to use the %mdat and %udat hashes I must preload Session::DBI
> before HTML::Embperl.  So I simply add:
>
> use Apache::Session::DBI ();
>
> to my require.pl file and stop/start my Apache server.
>
> IF I try to access the example file again (before that it worked fine) I
> get an ugly munged 500 Server Error Page and my logs shows this:
>
> Session manager opening persistent connection at
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/Apache/Session/DBI.pm line 40.
> Warning: Use of "require" without parens is ambiguous at (eval 19) line 1.
> [Tue Dec 22 03:40:33 1998] [error] install_driver(/) failed: Search
> pattern not terminated at (eval 19) line 1.
>
>  at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/Apache/Session/DBI.pm line 42

I just tested your setup here, with

1. Apache::Session::Win32 -> no problem
2. Apache::Session::DBI with DBD::mysql -> no problem
3. Apache::Session::DBI with DBI::Pg -> here I get a similar problem as you

After looking a little bit around, I realized that's an permission problem.
You must create the user in postgres under which your httpd runs and give
him the rights to access the DB.

After doing so also the setup 3. runs without problems.

If this is not your problem, it will be another problem with the database.
Make sure all necessary environement variables are correctly set (use
PerlSetEnv instead of SetEnv), when Apache::Session is loaded. The DBD::Pg
often crahes the httpd under mod_perl when an fatal error occurs instead of
giving an errormessage to some log. Maybe you can see the error message from
your postgres backend process.

You could try the newest embperl version from the CVS
(http://perl.apache.org/from-cvs/embperl, new version every 6 hours), this
one includes some test for Apache::Session. If the make test runs ok, try

export EMBPERL_SESSION_CLASS=DBI
export EMBPERL_SESSION_DS=dbi:Pg:dbname=session   (replace with your
databasename)
make test

Does this work for you?

Gerald