List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    Re: Stripping referer with mod_perl
From:       Doug MacEachern <dougm () pobox ! com>
Date:       1998-12-24 17:32:21

At 11:36 AM 12/20/98 -0800, Nick Tonkin wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I need to provide a way for users to follow external links without
>providing an HTTP_REFERER header. I have read of anonymizing proxies and
>suchlike but would prefer to accomplish this seemingly trivial task using
>my exisiting environment.
>
>I wrote the following handler but the client's HTTP_REFERER is unaffected.
>Have I made a mistake or is it not possible to do this using mod_perl (I
>don't believe that . . . you can do anything with mod_perl, right?)

Changing  headers_in('Referer') doesn't change what Netscape will send with
the next request.  You have to proxy the request after stripping the
header, I don't see that happening in your configuration or module.  And,
of course, your clients have to configure their proxy to point at your
server.

-Doug