List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    Re: Need help with manual compile
From:       Doug MacEachern <dougm () pobox ! com>
Date:       1998-11-25 21:49:04

At 04:42 PM 11/25/98 -0500, Vivek Khera wrote:

>DM> isn't a problem unless you are also using a PerlAuthenHandler.  In which
>DM> case, that can be solved with configuration, no need to force
>DM> mod_auth_cookie to be last in the list.
>
>Hmmmm. As author of mod_auth_cookie, I'm curious as to how you'd do
>that.  All the module does is read a specific cookie and convert it
>into an "Authentication:" header for use by the later authen modules.
>For this to work, my understanding is that it needs to have higher
>precedence in the module chain than others... but then I could be
>wrong ;-)

Ah, I didn't know that's how mod_auth_cookie worked, in this case, the
order does matter.  This new option in 1.3.4-dev should help:

  *) Add APACI --permute-module=foo:bar option which can be used to
     on-the-fly/batch permute the order of two modules (mod_foo and mod_bar)
     in the Configuration[.apaci] file. Two special and important variants
are
     supported for the option argument: first BEGIN:foo which permutes module
     mod_foo with the begin of the module list, i.e. it `moves' the module to
     the begin of the list (gives it lowest priority).  And second foo:END
     which permutes mod_foo with the end of the module list, i.e. it `moves'
     the module to the end of the list (gives it highest priority).
     [Ralf S. Engelschall]

Use APACI_ARGS=... with Makefile.PL (or in .makepl_args.mod_perl) to pass
this stuff in.  http://dev.apache.org/from-cvs/apache-1.3/
Another option is to setup everything with Makefile.PL, edit
$APACHE_SRC/src/modules.c, moving mod_auth_cookie to the end of each list,
then 'make test && make install', etc.

-Doug