List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    Apache::exit behavior is questionable?
From:       Joshua Chamas <chamas () alumni ! stanford ! org>
Date:       1998-06-29 0:08:02

Hi,

I've read the docs, and the Apache::exit behavior is
questionable, in that because of the underlying
die going on, $@ is always set to something.
After evaled code, $@ usually indicates an error, which
you don't want with exit.

Could the die be called die($message) where Apache::exit($message)
is called?  This could help developers manually differentiate
a real die from an exit?

Or maybe just some agreed keyword like
Apache::exit() == die('Apache::exit')

People writing handlers such as myself could then handle the
errors vs normal exiting better.  I think in an ideal world,
$@ would be set to undef, but I don't know how one can do that
with die.(?)

For now, I just do die('Apache::exit'), and match on $@ after
the eval, so no prob.