List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    Apache/Modperl for Win95
From:       Peter Tillemans <pti () pandora ! be>
Date:       1998-05-27 21:32:10

Hello,

I am assembling a binary release of apache with mod-perl (and mod-proxy)
linked statically so it'll run on a Win95 machine.

I'd like to get your opinion about the contents before making a complete
... of myself.

I know, Apache 1.3b7 is just released. I'll recompile it today or tomorrow,
but  the rest should stay the same (well the 'dev' will disappear in the
filename).

TIA

Peter Tillemans

Archive Name :

mod_perl-1.11_1-apache-1.3b7dev-bin-bindist1-i386-win95-vc5.zip

Contents :
----------

testing: ApacheCore.lib           OK
testing: Apache.exe               OK
testing: ApacheCore.dll           OK
testing: modules/                 OK
testing: modules/ApacheModuleStatus.dll   OK
testing: modules/ApacheModuleAuthAnon.dll   OK
testing: modules/ApacheModuleDigest.dll   OK
testing: modules/ApacheModuleCERNMeta.dll   OK
testing: modules/ApacheModuleExpires.dll   OK
testing: modules/ApacheModuleHeaders.dll   OK
testing: modules/ApacheModuleRewrite.dll   OK
testing: modules/ApacheModuleSpeling.dll   OK
testing: modules/ApacheModuleUserTrack.dll   OK
testing: README                   OK

Contents of the README:
-----------------------
Apache binary with mod_perl and mod_proxy statically linked

For one reason or another Win95 refuses to let the mod_proxy and mod_perl DLL
install themselves properly in Apache. This problem can be circumvented by
compiling them statically into Apache.

This binary was compiled in this way. I started from the CVS distributions of
May 20th, 1998. I guess they'll be replaced with newer versions if needed and
with a "stable" version when Apche 1.3 is released.

Requirements
------------
A Visual C compiled perl5. (It won't work with Activestate Perl or with the
Borland compiled perl of Gurusami Sarathy). Your best bet is to compile the
perl on NT and copy the installed perl tree to your Win95 machine.

There is talk about a VC5 based distribution of perl, but you'll see when and
if it happens.

Apache-1.3b6 binary release from http://www.apache.org/

Installation
------------

Install Perl and Apache as indicated in their installation notes. However DO
NOT INSTALL THEM UNDER "C:\Program Files\..." even if apache proposes it as
default. The spaces in the path causes many a headache when trying to convince
configuration files, scripts and command shells not to interprete these spaces
as separators. You usually end up with a mess of quotes and backslashes.

The first rule in problem solving is to avoid getting in problems in the first
place. I use C:\Apache  and C:\perl, I have seen others use C:\usr\Apache and
C:\usr\perl.

The drive letter is irrelevant, but try to keep them on the same disk so you
can use path specifiers like \perl\... and get where you expect to get. Some
UN*X scripts have difficulty with the concept of drive letters.

Recompilation
-------------

Installing binary releases from internet is the computer equivalent of
following the instructions of a stranger who after giving you an object
tells you to point it to your head and pull the trigger.

If you recompile it, at least you have to assemble the piece so you have
a better chance of divining its intentions ;-).

I assume a "working" source tree of apache and mod_perl. I mean everything
compiles and runs fine except for the problem above. This works for
perl5.004_04 (but not for perl5.004_64).

1) Open "apache-x.xx/src/ApacheCore.dsp"

2) Create a folder "modperl" in the project. (And while you're at it, add a
   modproxy too)

3) Add the .c, .h files from modperl-x.xx/src/modules/perl to this folder (and
   the same for apache-x.xx/src/modules/proxy)

4) Add perl.lib from .../perl/lib/Core/ to the folder

5) Add the include directories as described in the modperl installation notes
   for the module.

6) Add the following define : PERL_MARK_WHERE (it refuses to compile
otherwise)

7) Rebuild ApacheCore.dll and copy to wherever you installed apache.

Enjoy,

Peter Tillemans
(pti@pandora.be)