List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    Re: Future MPM Support?
From:       André_Warnier_(tomcat) <aw () ice-sa ! com>
Date:       2018-07-30 8:44:30

On 30.07.2018 03:51, Paul B. Henson wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 04:18:54PM -0400, Paul Silevitch wrote:
>> Like Dr. James Smith, I'm hooking into multiple handlers and using filters.
>
> Yep, me too; Plack is really not a feature equivilent replacement for
> mod_perl :(.

+1.
Plack and other frameworks (TT2, Moose, Catalyst, etc.) cover the web application side, at
different levels and in different ways.
But there is (to my knowledge) no equivalent for mod_perl's ability to interact deeply
with the Apache internal Request processing logic.
In that respect, comparing mod_perl to Plack etc is like comparing apples to pears : not
very relevant.
Considering that, for better or worse, Perl as a programming language does not seem to be
really attractive to the current generation of software developers anymore, I would not
really mind if some tool equivalent to mod_perl was developed using whichever other
scripting language is currently more in fashion (javascript ? python ? ..), but it really
seems a pity to "slowly abandon" mod_perl without providing some tool of equivalent power
in terms of deep interaction with Apache httpd.