List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    Re: [Slightly OT] Apache::AuthCookie and mod_perl version 1.x
From:       "Randolf Richardson" <randolf () modperl ! pl>
Date:       2017-07-31 21:51:04

	I don't know of anyone who uses Apache HTTPd v1.x or mod_perl
version 1.x anymore.  With mod_perl2 support added recently for
Apache HTTPd v2.4 it seems that earlier versions of mod_perl2 are
gradually being upgraded too (including my systems, of which I only
have a few older ones to upgrade from v2.2 in the near future).

	It seems to me that while Apache HTTPd v2.2 is still quite popular
and continues to be very relevant, I suspect that anything earlier
than v2.2 is also probably not a major concern.  Also of interest is
the "end of life" final release status of Apache HTTPd v2.2, for
which you can read the official announcement, here:

		Apache httpd 2.2.34 Released (End-of-Life); final release
		http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/Announcement2.2.html

	In summary, I have no need for Apache HTTPd v1.x since I've long ago
upgraded to newer v2.2 and v2.4, and so from my perspective I don't
see any need to continue maintaining modules for v1.x (with an
exception being paying customers who won't/can't upgrade from v1.x).

	By the way, thanks for the great work you've put into the
Apache2::AuthCookie module (and its earlier incantations).

> Hi folks.
>
> Sorry for this slightly off topic thread, but in the past announcements
> about AuthCookie were typically made to this list.
>
> I'm the maintainer of Apache::AuthCookie (and Apache2::AuthCookie) and
> am wondering if there are any people out there still using
> Apache::AuthCookie under mod_perl version 1.x (and as such apache 1.x)?
>
> Given that apache 1.3.42 was the final release of Apache 1.3, which was
> way back in 2010, I am hoping that everyone has moved on to Apache 2.x
> long ago.
>
> As a result, I would like to formally drop support for Apache 1.3 from
> future versions of Apache::AuthCookie.  This would allow me to clean up
> the dist a bit, and be able to publish a consistent set of dependencies
> in META.* in the dist.
>
> If you really require Apache::AuthCookie under apache 1.3 at this point,
> you can get a previous version of AuthCookie from backpan to address that.
>
> If you really do need AuthCookie and getting it from backpan is a
> problem for you, please let me know.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Regards,
> Michael Schout