List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    Re: Are there windows binaries for 5.20?
From:       Steve Hay <steve.m.hay () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2015-02-17 15:17:18

On 17 February 2015 at 13:27, Michael Lackhoff <michael@lackhoff.de> wrote:
> Am 17.02.2015 um 14:14 schrieb Steve Hay:
>
>> You can't. The VC9 build of the mod_perl components are not compatible
>> with StrawberryPerl, which is built with gcc and therefore uses a
>> different CRT (msvcrt.dll vs msvcr90.dll).
>>
>> The 32-bit components that I've built before were built with VC6 in
>> order to use the same CRT as StrawberryPerl/ActivePerl, but that's no
>> longer an option since ActiveState only make 64-bit-int versions of
>> their 32-bit ActivePerl available now and the 64-bit-int build option
>> doesn't work with VC6 due to bugs in that ancient compiler. I can make
>> a 32-bit-int VC6 perl myself, of course, but then the mod_perl
>> components still won't match ActivePerl because of the 32/64-bit-int
>> mismatch... That is why I've only made 64-bit versions available
>> recently...
>>
>> And that's why I need to change mod_perl so that it can be built with
>> gcc/dmake.
>>
>> (I asked ActiveState to consider making 32-bit-int versions available
>> as well (like StrawberryPerl do), but they declined.)
>

> But then it should be possible to build a 32-bit version with VC6 for
> Strawberry, just not for Activestate? Or did I misunderstand your last
> sentence?
> Since I use Strawberry that would be fine with me. I think I even still have
> VC6 around somewhere...

Yes, that should be possible, albeit using a compatible custom-built
VC6 perl since StrawberryPerl itself is a gcc/dmake system. It will
only work for the 32-bit-int StrawberryPerl, though: with the
64-bit-int version you'll have the same problem as with ActivePerl.

> Or else -- given the uncertainty of predictions -- do you have an estimation
> when you get into the gcc/dmake thing?

I will have a look this weekend if I have time.