List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    Re: Mod_Perl and MaxRequestsPerChild
From:       Michael Peters <michael00peters () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-10-16 20:12:51

Boysenberry Payne wrote:

> $Apache2::SizeLimit::MAX_UNSHARED_SIZE = 50000;

The key here is your unshared memory. On Linux COW takes care of all the stuff
you pre-load and then don't change on prefork. But if you're constantly changing
large data structures, then prefork won't really work for you memory-wise. Also,
you should pre-load any Perl modules used at startup, else those become unshared
when used.

If you are using large data structures that change over time, you have to ask
yourself "Can I do better"? I'd look at using something else to store the
structures (are they just cache? then memcached. Are they important? Then some
sort of shared memory, BDB, SQLite or MySQL might be more appropriate.

--
Michael Peters
Developer