List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    Re: php/mod_perl + mysql woes
From:       Jonathan Vanasco <jvanasco () 2xlp ! com>
Date:       2007-07-20 16:07:47

On Jul 20, 2007, at 8:44 AM, Michael Peters wrote:

> For some reason, some people are hesitant
> to run multiple versions of apache on the same machine, but there
> are lots of
> people who do it all the time and it works out just fine.
>
> If you're concerned about running 3 apaches (1 for mod_perl, 1 for
> PHP and 1 for
> the proxy) then you can use a smaller lightweight proxy like squid.

off the top  of my head, there were a lot of  library conflicts
between mp and php regarding mysql at some point.  the fix was to
compile everything from source.  it has to deal with the way the
distros were bundling php/mysql onto apache.  that could easily be
your problem.

you can also just run 1 version of apache w/3 config files ...

you should never run php & mod_perl on the same server for content
generation (  if you're doing auth/filltering, thats another story ).
they have completely different designs regarding memory use and
application flow.  you're wasting a ton of resources doing it like that.

i know i advocate this ad-nauseum, but its fucking fast and simple to
set up:

	port 80: nginx
	port 8000-9000: whatever mod_perl stuff you want, either by port or
vhost on a single port
	php: run via fast-cgi through nginx

you don't need to do php in apache.  you're likely better off getting
php out of apache : if you're running both dso's loaded into a
server, its competing against mod_perl for resources ( children , max
requests cause respawns, etc ) ; if you split out into multiple
servers, you're dealing with the apache overhead.  you can just
forget apache and run php without it.  it works.  it works really
really well.