List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    Re: DBI and threaded MPM
From:       "Perrin Harkins" <perrin () elem ! com>
Date:       2007-07-11 16:35:03

On 7/11/07, Anthony Gardner <cyclewood_ltd@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> A. We recently went live with a DB application and the system ground
>     to a halt. It could be due to many things, but the thing I'm looking at
>     is the fact that we had many network connections. I then found the
>     info about  Databases and threaded MPM. From what I understand,
>     DB connections created at server startup are not shared amongst
>     threads.

That's correct.  Each process or thread must have a separate connection.

Before you can fix your problem, you need to find out what the problem
is.  It sounds like you haven't done much configuration, so the most
likely problem is that you have MaxClients set really high and you are
using up all the memory on the machine and going into swap.  There's
lots of advice on the mod_perl site about how to correctly tune
MaxClients and related settings.

- Perrin