List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    Re: [OT]website structure
From:       John ORourke <john-modperl () o-rourke ! org>
Date:       2007-06-25 9:11:16

pennyyh@aol.co.uk wrote:
> Do you know where has the sources for popular web structure for a high
> traffic site?Such as HA,load balance,cache,db pool,etc.

Assuming you're using MySQL, there are some superb seminars available at
http://www.mysql.com/news-and-events/on-demand-webinars/ - however
they're mostly about software architecture. The recommendation is
generally that you have one DB server doing all the insert/update/delete
commands, replicating to a bunch of read-only boxes.

Also see (bearing in mind this is in the 1.0 docs)
http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/scenario.html - make sure you're
getting the best you can out of one box before you start spreading out.

If you're looking at having a pool of front end servers, the simplest
solution is to use DNS to return multiple IPs with a short TTL. Check
out Eddie ( http://eddie.sourceforge.net/lbdns.html )
With a larger budget you can get a decent hardware load balancer from
Foundry (my favourite) or Alteon - there are others like F5 and Zeus but
they're just hacked up *nix boxes.

That's about all I can advise, I suggest any further discussion takes
place off list.

cheers
John