List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    Re: Using "switch" in <Perl> section.
From:       Jeff Nokes <jeff_nokes () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2006-08-21 18:45:53

Hi,
We have about 30 servers in our productin envrionment, and growing too.  We use  \
blocks in our configs, but we just use standard conditionals to do any switch/case \
decision trees (which is what Switch is doing under the hood anyway \
[http://faq.perl.org/perlfaq7.html#How_do_I_create_a_sw].

We found it easiest to deploy our conf files with macro substitution strings in them, \
and we have a Bourne shell script that iterates over the conf files, and replaces \
macros where appropriate; then the script will start up apache.  Here's an example:

  <VirtualHost  macro_ROW_HOST:macro_APACHE_HTTP_PORT>
    ServerAdmin  macro_APACHE_SERVER_ADMIN
    ServerName   macro_ROW_HOST

In the Bourne shell script, each macro is tied to an inline `sed` statement that does \
the subsitution.  The conf file goes out with a name like '_httpd.conf', and after \
substitution, is rewritten to 'httpd.conf'.

Works well for us.  It's a single solution that solves all dynamic config issues for \
our dev/QA and prod envrionments.

- Jeff