List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    Re: Error: R_PPC_REL24 - Cannot load mod_perl.so into server on PowerPC
From:       "Philip M. Gollucci" <pgollucci () p6m7g8 ! com>
Date:       2006-05-24 10:13:20

Keith A. Carlson wrote:
> I am running a dual processor PowerPC and have had mod_perl running for
> almost two years with no problems.  One of the applications that I have
> been running is WebGUI (content management system).  When I upgraded to
> the most recent version of WebGUI it had me install a bunch of Perl
> packages (http://www.plainblack.com/installing_webgui) and while I was
> doing that I somehow (maybe one of the packages required it?) ended up
> doing a recompile of mod_perl.  Now I get the error ‘R_PPC_REL24 –
> Cannot load mod_perl.so into server’ (my abbreviated version of the error).
Worst case, you'll have to resync your compiles of perl, httpd,
mod_perl, and WebGui.

> P_PPC_REL24 has something to do with addressing size on shared modules
> when running PowerPC as your CPU.  In other places on the web I have
> found that people are saying that if you compile with ‘-fpic’ or ‘-fPIC’
> that it will solve this problem.  I am not sure the difference between
> ‘fpic’ and ‘fPIC’ and maybe that has something to do with this.
> Unfortunately, when I look at the Makefile I see that fpic is already
> there as a compiler option as ‘CCCDLFLAGS = -fpic’.
cccdlflags='-DPIC -fPIC', lddlflags='-shared  -L/usr/local/lib

Its probably closer to what you want ... look at
perl -V:cccdlflags
or
perl -V

for hints

> This box is a production box that includes a perl based Ecommerce system
> (Interchange) so I have to tread kind of lightly on my perl and apache
> installations but I desperately need to get this going.

> mod_perl 2.0.2
>
> perl 5.8.6
Did you install the SPRINTF buffer overflow security patch part of 5.8.8

http://dev.perl.org/perl5/news/2005/perl_patches_fix_sprintf_buffer.html

> apache 2.0.50
That version of apache is 2+ years old... upgrade.

Technically, your combo is supposed to work though.