List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    Re: mod_perl 2.0 custom directive clarification
From:       Geoffrey Young <geoff () modperlcookbook ! org>
Date:       2006-02-21 13:34:19

Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Frank Wiles <frank@wiles.org> writes:
>
>>des@des.no (Dag-Erling Smørgrav) wrote:
>>
>>>To quote a slightly longer excerpt:

>>>which is clearly incorrect, unless "at request time" means something
>>>different to you than it does to me.
>>
>>Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about. :) You are referencing
>>the wrong section for how to use these configs in your sub handler().
>>[...]
>>Hopefully that is more clear.
>

> No, it isn't.  You didn't address my key point: what does "at request
> time" mean in the sentence I quoted?

"request time" means the time from the PerlPostReadRequestHandler through
the PerlCleanupHandler.  in essence, the time under which httpd is serving a
request (as opposed to the time httpd spends configuring itself, for example).

nevertheless, the syntax given above is wrong without additional perl foo
(like adding Apache::Module to your @INC).  I suspect that the example was
lifted from the tests where that syntax is indeed used but get_config() is a
wrapper function and not the official API.  I'd suggest changing that example to

  Apache::Module::get_config(__PACKAGE__, $s, $r->per_dir_config);

instead of $self.

HTH

--Geoff