List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    Dealing with http params: APR::Request::Param::Table et al?
From:       Jeff <modperl () aquabolt ! com>
Date:       2005-12-26 16:12:48

Folks,

What classes/approach do you recommend for a mod_perl applications
interaction with the params and args of an HTTP request?

I want to wrap up dealing with GET POST UPDATE COOKIE and all other
aspects of an HTTP request in a simple, easy to use interface for
application programmers. Dare I say, somewhat similar to the $_REQUEST
approach al' la PHP (ducks).

I started with an investigation of Apache2::Request, and come to the
documentation that says:
   my $table = $req->param();
where $table is an APR::Request::Param::Table object.

I cannot seem to find details of this objects interface? I assumed that
this was possibly an APR::Table, but I find that
   my $table = $req->param;
   $table->compress(APR::Const::OVERLAP_TABLES_MERGE);

gives:
  Can't locate object method "compress" via package
    APR::Request::Param::Table

so I am wondering - application level mod_perl development must have
some simpler, reasonably efficient wrapper classes for parsing GET POST
UPDATE and COOKIE params from HTTP requests?

Any recommendations appreciated.

Regards
Jeff

PS. I have Debian Sarge(stable) backports from Etch available for:
   libapache2-mod-perl2 (2.0.1)
   libapache2-mod-apreq2 (2.06)
   libapache2-request-perl (2.06)

If anyone is interested, or has a repository to publish them.

I am a backport newbie, but gave up waiting for an up-to-date mod_perl2
for Debian stable (which is stuck at 1.999.21 - prerename ugh! uglies!)