List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    Re: [mp2] Make Apache2/mp2 act like IIS6/application pools
From:       Stas Bekman <stas () stason ! org>
Date:       2005-03-29 3:38:36

Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
> On Mar 28, 2005, at 5:21 PM, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> Andrew Weiland wrote:
>>
>>> Is it possible to replicate the functionality of application pooling
>>> in IIS 6 with mod_perl2 and apache 2?
>>> I've looked at Registry scripts but at this point am unsure as to how
>>> they can help me with more than one application.
>>

>> Andrew, please explain what's IIS' application pooling.
>
> Hi Andrew, Stats.
> The answer I believe is no.
>
> Application pooling basically lets you set up IIS sites and ODBC
> connnects in "shared"
> mode (aka low or medium memory models) from IIS5.  Then you're websites
> can share the same memory footprint.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this was being talked about for
> perl6/modperl3 and solar variables.

No, it already exists in mp2 + threaded Apache mpms + perl5.8.x, including
the solar variables (see the threads::shared manpage for more details).
The opcode tree is shared between the threads:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/performance/mpm.html#Memory_Requirements_in_Threaded_MPM

The problem is that there are too many problems with ithreads. And
starting a new thread in the heavily loaded server is prohibitively
expensive. Liz has implemented forks.pm as a drop-in replacement for
threads.pm, to make things much faster.