List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    Re: Trying mod_perl for the first time - how to enable it?
From:       Sean Davis <sdavis2 () mail ! nih ! gov>
Date:       2005-01-27 11:15:59

On Jan 26, 2005, at 9:21 AM, Edward Wijaya wrote:

> Thanks so much for the reply Sean,
>
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 20:58:02 -0500, Sean Davis <sdavis2@mail.nih.gov>
> wrote:
>
>> Edward,
>>
>> Did you look at the server log?
> Sean,here is my error server log:
> http://pastebot.nd.edu/127?tx=on&submit=Format+it%21
>
>> Also, is you hello.pl script written as a handler or straight cgi
>> script?
>
> I am not sure. How can I check that?
> I just simply write a perl code like normal where you can execute
> under command line like this: $ perl test.pl
>
> with _"print 'hello\n";_ in it
> And just the code under /var/www/cgi-bin

Hopefully, you have had a chance to look at some of the documentation
that others have suggested.  Also, CGI scripts have to have a special
output format.  They need to include headers telling the server/browser
what to do with the output.  Your best bet is to follow the
documentation step-by-step to make sure that the server is doing what
you think before writing your own scripts.

As for your error_log/config files, it appears that you do need to tell
your server where your cgi-bin is, as noted elsewhere.  Also, you need
to change permissions and chmod on all your scripts so they can be run
by the server.  Those "permission denied" errors often imply a script
that does not have correct access and execute privileges set.

Sean