List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    Re: compile problems
From:       Stas Bekman <stas () stason ! org>
Date:       2004-12-29 17:21:50

Barksdale, Ray wrote:

>>Here's a possibly relevant link I found while googling
>>for an answer:
>>

>>https://www.redhat.com/archives/amd64-list/2004-September/msg0
>>0003.html
>

> I'm glad you found this. I was going to build a new gcc and friends
> this afternoon.
>
> Looks like that's it. I'm seeing a 5-fold difference in reported usage
> between the 32-bit and 64-bit boxes for perl and CPAN shell.
> Haven't seen any httpd's killed off but the box has 4 Gigs and a light load.

I've further read through the thread starting at that link above, and it
seems to point to a memory leak in kernels 2.6.8-1.521 and 2.6.8-1.541 on
a x86_64 system running ia32 bit apps in IA32_EMULATION mode.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/amd64-list/2004-September/msg00020.html

> The 25% figure is what I had expected based on
> http://gcc.fyxm.net/summit/2003/Porting%20gcc%20to%20the%20amd64.pdf

It's always fun to read about gcc internals :)