List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    Re: Apache::Request
From:       Stas Bekman <stas () stason ! org>
Date:       2004-06-29 22:09:54

Randy Kobes wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004, Joe Schaefer wrote:
>

>>Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:
>>
>>[...]
>>

>>>There is little value and a huge overhead in building the table files
>>>by each user (not talking about extra dependencies).
>>
>>I know our build/xsbuilder.pl has Win32-specific code in it, so
>>I'm somewhat reluctant to simply generate and bundle the pre-built
>>tables.
>>

>>>It might be a good idea for apreq2 to store the output of recdescent
>>>under cvs and hand it ready to the users. That's similar to what mp2
>>>does (though it uses C::Scan to do the C parsing).
>>
>>Not opposed in principle, I just don't want to be personally
>>involved in maintaining those tables.
>

> At least for mp2, Win32 is fine with the pre-built
> tables (generating them with Win32 is actually broken
> at the moment, so Win32 relies on someone else making
> them). However, as you say, there are other things
> build/xsbuilder.pl does, such as writing Makefile.PLs
> and adjusting the include/link options, that do require
> Win32-specific stuff.

Just as mp2 does. I certainly didn't suggest to abolish xsbuilder in the
distibution. Only the part that generates the tables.

> Maintaining them is a different matter ... Perhaps a script
> could be set up, run when a commit is done on cvs, that
> would generate the tables and notify someone if changes
> are warranted?

We are doing pretty well w/o any scripts in mp2, just commit those when
modifying the API. At the moment apreq goes through many changes, so it might
add a bit of an overhead. As things settle down, API shouldn't change and
therefore tables will be mostly stable and require not maintenance whatsoever.