List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    Re: [mp2] $dbh and config values methods
From:       Perrin Harkins <perrin () elem ! com>
Date:       2004-05-28 17:30:54

On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 02:51, Tom Schindl wrote:
> As Perrin already said Apache::DBI or once more a Singleton-Class
> providing the DBH, although I'd use Apache::DBI because it handles
> everthing for you.

I typically use them together.  Apache::DBI handles the persistence, and
the singleton provides easy access from any module that wants to use
it.  It also centralizes the db configuration in one spot.

I would caution anyone against rolling their own database handle
persistence system, using simple tricks with globals.  It's much better
to use DBI->connect_cached() if you are unable to use Apache::DBI for
some reason.

- Perrin