List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    [mp2 milestones] installment 1
From:       Stas Bekman <stas () stason ! org>
Date:       2004-05-28 5:21:46

Hi,

As we have mentioned several times on this list mod_perl 2.0 will be released
when a selected API will be reviewed, tested and documented and the release
todo file http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/modperl-2.0/todo/release gets emptied.

This is the first installment of getting to the final goal of releasing 2.0
and it requires your attention.

Here are the first 15 modules that have their API more or less frozen, tested
and documented. Make sure you read the man pages thoroughly, since once 2.0.0
is released we will not be able to change the existing API in the following
2.0.x releases, if the changes break backwards compatibility with 2.0.0
release. At the moment we can still change things, therefore please make sure
that you review the following man pages:

http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/api/APR/Base64.html
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/api/APR/Brigade.html
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/api/APR/Bucket.html
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/api/APR/BucketAlloc.html
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/api/APR/BucketType.html
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/api/APR/Date.html
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/api/APR/Error.html
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/api/APR/IpSubnet.html
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/api/APR/Pool.html
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/api/APR/SockAddr.html
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/api/APR/Socket.html
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/api/APR/Table.html
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/api/APR/ThreadMutex.html
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/api/APR/URI.html
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/api/APR/Util.html

Quite a few methods have changed since 1.99_14 release. You will need to use
the current mod_perl cvs
http://perl.apache.org/download/source.html#Development_mod_perl_2_0_Source_Distribution
in order to match the documentation if you try to code or port things. You can
refer to the Changes file to see what has changed since the last release:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/modperl-2.0/Changes

If you want to discuss a certain module or a function, please don't reply to
this email but start a separate thread using a relevant subject name. For example:

   [mp2] APR::Socket::recv issues

Contributions in the form of patches to the code, tests and documentations are
more than welcome. Here is how you can contribute:

If you wish to send documentation fixes and improvements please use the
modperl-docs repository as explained here:
http://perl.apache.org/download/docs.html
http://perl.apache.org/contribute/cvs_howto.html#Sending_Patches

If you wish to help us and write more tests, please send patches against the
current mod_perl cvs:
http://perl.apache.org/download/source.html#Development_mod_perl_2_0_Source_Distribution

Thank you.

I still have several issues with a few APR:: modules not listed above, but I'm
going to work on the Apache:: modules next. So the next installment will
include a batch of Apache:: API man pages to review.