List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    Re: Apache2+mp2 Reverse Proxy -> Apache1+mp1
From:       Igor Sysoev <is () rambler-co ! ru>
Date:       2004-02-26 10:55:10

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Ged Haywood wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Richard F. Rebel wrote:
>
> > I would be interested if anyone knows of a mod_proxy replacement
> > that does this sort of multiplexing
>
> I had an idea that mod_accel would do that, but it's been a while
> so I could be completely wrong.

No, mod_accel does not support the keep-alive connections to a backend so
it can not do such multiplexing.

However, I'm developing the new light-weight http and reverse proxy server
that will support the keep-alive connections to the backends and will allow
to use multiplexing.

Right now the proxy code in beta state, however the server is used in
a production on two busy enough sites to serve static mp3's and images.

The server can use kqueue, epoll, /dev/poll, select, poll, rt signals (the
later right now have not a overflow handling) and i/o completion ports (Win32).
On FreeBSD, Linux, and Solaris it can use sendfile().  The server supports
ip- and name-based virtual hosts, keep-alive, pipelined requests, gzip
encoding, chunked encoding, and byte ranges (the partial downloads).
There is a primitive rewrite module that allows to rewrite URI using regex's.

The responses go though output filters.  The gzip, chunked encoding, and
byte ranges is implemented as filters.  The SSI filter and throttling
module are planned.

The server uses two processes - the master and the worker.
The server allows a gracefull server upgrade without interrupting clients.
The configuration is as flexible as in Apache.

In the near future server will support the threads pool (pthreads, Win32
threads, and FreeBSD rfork()) to use several CPUs and to eliminate latences
while the blocking on disk i/o.

Igor Sysoev
http://sysoev.ru/en/