List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    Re: ANNOUNCE: Apache::SMTP
From:       Geoffrey Young <geoff () modperlcookbook ! org>
Date:       2004-02-24 20:44:49

> I think I need to read the Brigade docs again :).  But, yeah, when I was
> building the thing, I was kinda thinking about it like it was a filter.
> Your approach sounds like it might be better though.

it was just an idea that I had, and I hadn't investigated brigades to the
point where I fully understood whether my desires were proper or not.  ymmv :)

>>anyway, the (very, very rough) work in progress is here
>
> Cool, I'll take a look and see what can be done.

just to be clear, I only posted it so you could steal any useful ideas from
within - I'm not planning on releasing it anymore, so feel free to do your
own thing (steal it, ignore it, whatever).

> I'll try and fix it up so it isn't destructive (if I can, and still make it
> work the way I need it to).

right, it may not be possible, or the needs of filters may be different.  as
I said, I was starting at a different point - in Apache::Upload, $bb
represents an uploaded file, which I wouldn't want to consume in case other
people wanted to read from it as well. creating an interface that met the
needs of both types of brigades was a sticking point for me, which is
partially why I moved on :)

> I'm not sure if I can pull out all the mod_perl
> dependencies though.  If that is the case it should stay in the Apache
> namespace, right?

yeah, I'd say so.  in truth, APR:: isn't entirely separate from mod_perl
yet, but that's the plan.  so I'd suggest saying out of a new namespace on
CPAN until the core APR:: modules are clean.  but I don't feel strongly
about that, so yet another suggestion.

good luck and kudos for getting something fully working - I knew it was a
good idea :)

--Geoff