List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    Re: mod_perl.so error preventing httpd startup
From:       Ged Haywood <ged () www2 ! jubileegroup ! co ! uk>
Date:       2004-01-28 15:42:51

Hello there,

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Paul Prinsloo (TEBiVO) wrote:

> I've recently tried to upgrade both the openssl and openssh packages on
> my system (Red Hat 9 OS).

Just those?

> All installations went without hiccups

Are you sure about that?

> when I tried starting up the httpd daemon after a system reboot, the
> following error message occurred:
> [snip]
> Cannot load /etc/httpd/modules/mod_perl.so into server:

This is why I ask.

> Part of the upgrade process was installing Apache Server 1.3.27.

You said openssh and openssl - not Apache.

I believe the Apache supplied with RH9 is version 2, you seem to have
messed things up by installing a version 1 Apache which probably isn't
what you were meant to do.

There are two ways to proceed now, either version 1 of Apache and
version 1 of mod_perl, or version 2 of Apache and version 1.99 of
mod_perl (which is what they're calling version 2 of mod_perl at the
moment - don't ask :).

Either way (versions 1 or 2), get the latest sources of both (Apache
and mod_perl) from the appropriate websites.  I would recommend that
befre installing them you install Perl 5.8.3 first unless you have
already upgraded your Perl, because there are known issues with the
Perl that comes with RH9.

Get back to us if you need more help.

73,
Ged.