List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    Re: mod_perl won't compile
From:       Stas Bekman <stas () stason ! org>
Date:       2004-01-28 0:18:38

Mike NoLast wrote:
> I am trying to build mod_perl-1.99_08 on a RH 9
> system. The make errors. Below is my attempt. Can
> anyone give me an idea of what is wrong and how to fix
> it?
>

> [x@mod_perl-1.99_08]$ perl Makefile.PL
> MP_APXS=/usr/sbin/apxs
[...]
> modperl_interp.c: In function `modperl_interp_new':
> modperl_interp.c:70: structure has no member named
> `_crypt_struct'

The problem is very simple - RH (and other distros) tends to ship fake perl
releases. It takes a release and adds some patches to it, then it calls it by
the version number of the release, w/o thinking too match about how it may
affect projects that interface perl in C.

The code makes use of:

#if PERL_REVISION == 5 && PERL_VERSION == 8 && PERL_SUBVERSION == 0 && \
     defined(USE_REENTRANT_API) && defined(HAS_CRYPT_R) && defined(__GLIBC__)
         {
             dTHXa(interp->perl);
             /* workaround 5.8.0 bug */
             PL_reentrant_buffer->_crypt_struct.current_saltbits = 0;
         }
#endif

so your perl must be saying that it's 5.8.0, whereas it's not. Unfortunately
Perl doesn't expose the patch level define, so we can't do much about it.

Install a true 5.8.1 or 5.8.2 or what not and it'll work just fine.

The latest mp2 won't make any difference. It's not a mp2 problem.

Please report back whether it did do the trick.