List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    Re: [ANNOUNCE]: mod_perl 1.99_10
From:       Geoffrey Young <geoff () modperlcookbook ! org>
Date:       2003-09-29 21:25:08

The Doctor wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 11:10:29AM -0700, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>Stas Bekman wrote:
>>
>>>The uploaded file
>>>
>>>   mod_perl-1.99_10.tar.gz
>>
>>This release:
>>
>> - is the first release to support the hashing randomization in perl 5.8.1.
>> - requires httpd 2.0.46 or higher
>>

> What about support for httpd-2.1.0-dev?

well, you shouldn't have any trouble compiling or using 1.99_10 with httpd
2.1.  the only issues really relate to what makes 2.1 different than 2.0,
and the only things that come to mind there are authentication and the
mod_include rewrite.

if you are interested in the new authentication hooks, you can see the CPAN
module and article I wrote on it.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2003/07/08/mod_perl.html

http://search.cpan.org/~geoff/Apache-AuthenHook-2.00_01/

while that code doesn't work on threaded mpms, it should be pretty easy to
see how you can just write your own authen hook instead of using that
module.  and I've recently decided to redo the module anyway so that I can
support threads - the interface will be less transparent, but it will work
in a threaded environment.

as for mod_include, support for #perl sections was entirely missing until a
few weeks ago, when I release Apache::IncludeHook

http://search.cpan.org/~geoff/Apache-IncludeHook-2.00_01/

though I haven't gotten around to writing it against 2.1 yet.

are there other features you are interested in that you don't have access to
with 1.99_10?  if there are, I'd be happy to work on integrating them,
whether in a CPAN module or in core, depending on the circumstances.  if you
haven't guessed, 2.1 interests me :)

--Geoff