List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    RE: Need help installing mod_perl
From:       "Tom Gazzini" <tomg () barzakh ! co ! uk>
Date:       2003-04-30 0:17:02

Thanks to all who offered helpful advice, it was much appreciated. I've
now got apache/mod_perl installed and running. Of course, Keep It Simple
was the answer.

The reason I ran into complications was that my web host pre-installed
my dedicated linux box with something called ensim. Now ensim is
web-based server administration tool, customized in this case for RH. It
gives you a nice graphic frontend (actually, not that nice) but messes
around a lot with the apache configuration and file layout.

In upgrading to Perl 5.8.0 and mod_perl 1.27, I was also trying to
preserve the ensim configuration, but that proved to be a nightmare.

I've now decided to ditch the graphical server admin tool, and opt
instead for a nice, simple standard apache setup and use of the SSH
command line. Life is better when it's simple.

Tom