List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    Re: Can't connect to ppm-ia.ActiveState.com:80
From:       Randy Kobes <randy () theoryx5 ! uwinnipeg ! ca>
Date:       2003-02-28 21:58:36

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Richard Heintze wrote:

> I've searched the archives for "connect" and could
> find no hints.
>
> As per the mod_perl installation instructions, I type
> the following command:
> C:\Program Files\Apache
> Group\APACHE2\mod_perl-1.99_08>ppm install
> http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/cgi-bin/ppmserver?urn:/PPMServer58

You don't want to do that - rather, try
 C:\> ppm install http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/mod_perl.ppd
The address
 http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/cgi-bin/ppmserver?urn:/PPMServer58
is what you can set the repository to within the ppm shell.

> And I get these errors (see below). I have installed
> Apache 2 and perl 5.8 and I'm trying to install
> mod_perl2.
>
> Error: No valid repositories: Error: 500 Can't connect to
> ppm.ActiveState.com:80 (Bad hostname
> 'ppm.ActiveState.com') at
> D:/Perl/site/lib/PPM/Repository.pm line 84 Error: 500
> Can't connect to
> ppm-ia.ActiveState.com:80 (Bad hostname
> 'ppm-ia.ActiveState.com') at
> D:/Perl/site/lib/PPM/Repository.pm line 84

There was recent discussion on the perl-win32-users mailing list
(archives at http://www.activestate.com/) about this. Part of the
problem I think is that ppm-ia.ActiveState.com isn't running yet.
One recommendation was to use ppm2 for now.

--
best regards,
randy kobes