List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    Re: segmentation fault using a startup file
From:       Stas Bekman <stas () stason ! org>
Date:       2002-11-28 8:55:11

Ged Haywood wrote:
> On 27 Nov 2002, Jan Theofel wrote:

>>Especially because we use SuSE Linux Enterprise Server which is a
>>hihgly integrated system and we would loose the benefits of this
>>system when we compile apache on our own.
>

> I don't understand that at all.  Can somebody help me out here?

Sure. Many (linux|other) systems nowadays rely on Apache and Perl to do
the UI to the system. Therefore they sometimes (always?) patch or change
these tools to do what they want them to do. And when you want to add
your own things collisions might happen.

Therefore if you want to keep the system intact, build your own Apache
and your own Perl in a different directory. You especially want this if
you are a developer that need to make sure that the product works with
various versions.

e.g. I have:

% ls  ~/perl/
5.005_03  5.6.0  5.6.0-ithread  5.6.1  5.6.1-ithread  5.8.0
5.8.0-ithread  blead  blead-ithread

% ls ~/httpd/
1.3  2.0  prefork  prefork-apreq  threaded  worker

Of course you probably don't need them all, but you get the idea.

the only caveat of installing your own Apache is that you can't use port
80, if the system's Apache uses it. A simple rewrite rule solves this
problem.