List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    virtual host "server root"
From:       Rick Myers <rik () sumthin ! nu>
Date:       2002-02-28 3:05:35

I'm trying to create a "root" directory for each of my
virtuals. The reason is that there's plenty of stuff within
the realm of the virtual that certainly shouldn't be within
the document root -- templates, cache, logs, etc. Plus, I
might want to point a virtual into a user dir somewhere.

I've come up with three solutions, none of which I
particularly like for various reasons.

    - PerlSetVar VRoot /someplace
        Simple, but I've always had a distaste for
        PerlSetVar for some reason. *shrug*

    - VRoot /someplace
        Not as simple. Requires yet another module to
        implement and adds even more overhead to the server
        conf file.

    - ServerPath /someplace
        Pretty simple Server.xs hack, but probably never
        supported. Also might open up security holes.

Is anybody else doing this sort of thing?

--rick