List:       apache-modgzip
Subject:    Antwort: [Mod_gzip] gzip and ms-ie
From:       Michael.Schroepl () telekurs ! com
Date:       2002-04-29 11:12:55

Hi Sebastian,

> randomly some bytes at the end of the document are missing.
> When I click on a link on my page 10 times, at least one is
> corrupted. Looking in the source shows that ~30 bytes at the
> end of the file are not transfered ( or got lost, somewhere ).

I remember having experienced similar problems when acces-
sing Apache via some broken WinGate proxy server and using
the "KeepAlive" feature.
Do you know whether there are proxies on your communication
way?

> I compress content which is generated by a mod_fastcgi perl-scipt.
> Which setting for "ChunkedEncoding" i should choose ?

Either this script will produce chunked output, in which case
you would need to enable "dechunking" for mod_gzip, or it
doesn't, in which case the "dechunking" setting is irrelevant.
Look at your logfile (which should contain the mod_gzip status
value) which of both cases applies.
Or directly look at the created HTTP headers, using some trace
tool like
     http://www.schroepl.net/cgi-bin/http_trace.pl

> Do I have to downgrade all requests to http1.0 ?

I have tried this (in the Apache config), but it didn't change
anything.

> Any other hints ?

I switched off KeepAlive, and it helped, but didn't eliminate
the problem totally. But I experience this problem very rare-
ly, since the aforementioned proxy is out of the game now.

Greetings,

      Michael