List:       apache-modgzip
Subject:    [Mod_gzip] Antwort: mod_gzip digest, Vol 1 #597 - 7 msgs
From:       Michael.Schroepl () telekurs ! com
Date:       2002-04-24 22:11:44

Hi Paul,

> What happens is this: my site works fine in Internet Explorer,
> Opera and any other browser I throw at it, but not in Netscape.

You are talking about Netscape 4, aren't you?
(Netscape 3 cannot talk gzip, and Netscape 6 can handle it.)

> In Netscape if I try to look at the source code or print the
> home page will give me a bunch of crap characters (crap = encrypted?)

Yes, they are compressed.

There are other ways to get this effect, like
- using Mozilla 1.0RC1 to load a page, then
- turn off "gzip" in their configuration (you can explicitly
  edit the "Accept-Encoding" string there), and then
- reload the page (_not_ shift-reload!) or navigate forwards
  and backwards to the named page.
You will then see the compressed page content - as Mozilla
won't decompress something that "can't be compressed as I
would not ask for a compressed page right now".
Mozilla just has forgotten that it indeed _has_ asked for
the compressed page ...

> The thing is, mod_gzip works fine with EVERYTHING else.

Nope. Only with correctly implemented browsers. Of which I
know not even one.
(My most trustworthy candidate as of now would be Opera 6.0.)

> It works with pure html, text documents, directory listings,
> everything.

But neither JavaScript nor CSS from external sources -
bad enough. These are about 15% of my server's requests.

> So what am I doing wrong?

You are trusting Netscape 4, which is simply lying about
understanding compressed content in some areas.

> Any help is appreciated.

I suggest reading
     http://www.schroepl.net/projekte/mod_gzip/browser.shtml
about the browser bugs and
     http://www.schroepl.net/projekte/mod_gzip/config.shtml
about configuring mod_gzip as to cope with such problems.

Basically, you would need to exclude Netscape 4 from com-
pression if printing is an issue, or you might offer some
"printable version" of the page, which would then be ex-
cluded from compression by its URI.

Greetings,

      Michael