List:       apache-modgzip
Subject:    Re: [Mod_gzip] DECLINED:HEAD_REQUEST problem
From:       Ryszard Lach <rla () id ! pl>
Date:       2001-04-23 7:09:29

On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 12:46:20PM -0500, Kevin Kiley wrote:

> Hi Ryszard...
> This is Kevin Kiley...
>
> Offhand... I don't see anything wrong at all.
>
> DECLINED:NO_ACCEPT_ENCODING
> Means what it says. mod_gzip 'declined' to send compressed data because
> the user-agent did not send the 'Accept-Encoding: gzip' request field in the
> inbound request header.
>
> DECLINED:HEAD_REQUEST
> Also means exactly what it says. The user-agent sent a 'HEAD' request
> which never has any body data in the response ( only returns HEADER )
> info so a downstream agent can check for 'freshness' ) so there is never
> anything
> to compress for a 'HEAD' request.
>
> It almost sounds like that 'other' machine is simply running as a 'Proxy'
> and whatever is making requests of that 'Proxy' is never reporting
> either HTTP 1.1 compliance or sending 'Accept-Encoding'.

Well, it seems something is wrong with its logging abilities. I made a few
experiments with LogFormat and CustomLog. In file defined by CustomLog never
appears any line not including word DECLINED, while setting Apache's LogLevel to
"debug" gives full compressions statistics in ErrorLog.

Ryszard.

--
** Internet Designers S.A., ul. Przedmiejska 6--10, 54-201 Wroc³aw **
 tel. (071) 35 00 445 w. 25; fax (071) 37 35 946; http://www.id.pl/