List:       apache-modgzip
Subject:    Re: [Mod_gzip] Re: excluding http authentication
From:       Tim Frank <tfrank () registrar ! uoguelph ! ca>
Date:       2001-04-18 13:49:02

Martin,

	Very, very strange.  The only things I can suggest are checking your
error_log for more details to see if there is a bad entry somewhere.
Also checking the .htaccess and httpd.conf setup to make sure they are
working fine. Another thing to check (just to be on the safe side) is to
make sure that mod_gzip is the LAST entry in the module list.  From the
module listing you gave me it doesn't look like it is... the last loaded
module shows first on the list when in the loaded modules blurb (If I
remember correctly).
	I have been using .htaccess files with the PosgreSQL database
authentication module on our server for a long time and have not seen
this problem.  Could it maybe, possibly be something to do with using PAM
authentication?  For the record the URL you sent comes up with "This page
cannot be displayed" and doesn't even offer me a login prompt in IE 5.5
on Win98SE so I would check your error logs.
	Hopefully we can figure out the problem for you.

Tim Frank

On 18/04/01, 9:15:23 AM, Martin Pircher <martin@pircher.net> wrote
regarding [Mod_gzip] Re: excluding http authentication:

> Tim,
> thanks for your reply.

> I'm doing HTTP basic authentication also with .htaccess

> Below you'll find my system configuration, test browsers and
> the mod_gzip configuration.

> The problem appears when mod_gzip handles the
> request; when a browser doesn't accept gzipped content
> everything is fine (see below, working browsers).

> I put up a sample vsite at http://66.51.116.29/
> so you can test if you like. I will keep it up until
> the weekend but I've got to disable mod_gzip afterwards
> because nobody at my server can access protected
> directories during this test-time.

> Thanks,
> Martin

> In case somebody wants to to contact me you can do
> this by ICQ 4618863 (usually 09:00-16:00 GMT)
> or 61688125 (20:00-... GMT).

> ------------------------ tested browsers

> not working (empty document):
>     IE 5.50 SP1, 128bit, Win98SE
>     IE 5.50 SP1, 128bit, Windows 2000
>     IE 5.00, 40bit, Win98
>     Netscape Communicator 4.5, MacOS 8.6

> working like it should:
>     IE 4.01, MacOS 8.6

> ------------------------ My configuration is:
> Webserver:
>     Apache/1.3.12

> Modules:
>     mod_ssl/2.6.4
>     OpenSSL/0.9.5a
>     mod_gzip/1.3.19.1a
>     PHP/4.0.3pl1
>     mod_auth_pam/1.0a
>     FrontPage/4.0.4.3
>     mod_perl/1.24

> ------------------------ mod_gzip conf in httpd.conf
> <IfModule mod_gzip.c>
> mod_gzip_on                   Yes
> mod_gzip_minimum_file_size    2002
> mod_gzip_maximum_inmem_size   60000
> mod_gzip_keep_workfiles       No
> mod_gzip_temp_dir             "/tmp"
> mod_gzip_dechunk              Yes

> mod_gzip_item_include       file \.html$
> mod_gzip_item_include       mime text/.*
> mod_gzip_item_include       file \.php$
> mod_gzip_item_include       file \.php3$
> mod_gzip_item_include       file \.php4$
> mod_gzip_item_include       mime ^application/x-httpd-php
> mod_gzip_item_include       mime application/x-httpd-php-source

> mod_gzip_item_exclude       file \.js$
> mod_gzip_item_exclude       file \.css$
> mod_gzip_item_exclude       mime ^image/.*

> #mod_gzip_item_exclude      reqheader   "WWW-Authentication:+"
> #mod_gzip_item_exclude      rspheader   "WWW-Authentication:+"
> #mod_gzip_command_version sitegzip

> LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b mod_gzip: %{mod_gzip_result}n
> In:%{mod_gzip_i
> nput_size}n
Out:%{mod_gzip_output_size}n:%{mod_gzip_compression_ratio}npct."