List:       apache-httpd-users
Subject:    Re: [users@httpd] Certificate Bug
From:       "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <danm () prime ! gushi ! org>
Date:       2013-12-27 22:01:24

On Wed, 18 Dec 2013, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:

> All,
>
> We're in the process of spinning off our support department from one domain
> to another.  This seemed simple enough, but the SSL is challenging.
>
> I'd like to ask about a weird certificate bug that I've encountered.  The
> issue is pretty basic -- I have an SSL cert with support.newdomain.com
> configured, and support.originaldomain.com configured as the
> CertificateAltName.

As expected, zero responses on this thread, either public or private.

I'm mainly posting this back to the list for anyone else who may stumble
upon this issue and wonder what we did to solve it.

The answer is "live with the broken behavior".  Live with the behavior
that the ServerName is most certainly NOT what's in the CommonName of my
certificate, and if I set it to be, apache complains that my cert is a CA
cert and refuses to start.

It's certainly a bug.

The error messages most certainly are wrong and misleading, but may come
from openSSL rather than apache itself.  If I should be posting this stuff
to a different mailing list, please let me know.  I realize my question is
far beyond the commonly-asked ones.

-Dan