List:       apache-httpd-users
Subject:    Re: [users@httpd] Getting blog.domain.com instead of domain.com/blog
From:       Chris Arnold <carnold () electrichendrix ! com>
Date:       2011-11-28 0:56:13

> It was thus said that the Great Chris Arnold once stated:
There is only One Great and it is not me...
> I am not sure if this is an apache issue or not but i thought i ask and
> see what the experts thought. I have a WP blog at domain.com/blog. I want
> to have people access the blog by blog.domain.com. I have public dns
> entries for blog.domain.com that point back to the public ip but this does
> not return the desired results. I created a virtualhost and give the
> serveralias blog.domain.com and the correct directory and get page not
> found. Nothing shows in the error log. Thanks for any help

> If you can control the actual Apache configuration file, you might try how
> I do it:
Yes, i control the config file

> <VirtualHost 66.252.224.242:80>
> ServerName    www.boston.conman.org
> CustomLog     /home/spc/web/logs/www.boston.conman.org combined-deflate
> Redirect      permanent       /       http://boston.conman.org/
> </VirtualHost>

> <VirtualHost 66.252.224.242:80>
> ServerName    boston.conman.org
> ServerAdmin   sean@conman.org
> DocumentRoot  /home/spc/web/sites/boston.conman.org/htdocs

> # rest of configuration ... not germane to the issue
> </VirtualHost>

> I had a few people think my blogs at <http://www.boston.conman.org/> when
> no, it's at <http://boston.conman.org/>.  This also tells the various search
> engine indexers that the preferred site is boston.conman.org.

Isn't the above config basically the same as ours:
<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName    domain.com
ServerAdmin   email
DocumentRoot  path/to/web/sites
</VirtualHost>

blog.domain.com works on the local LAN but not outside the LAN. I know it is allowed \
through the firewall as domain.com/blog works fine. The domain is registered at \
godaddy and there has been a cname created that points to the public ip.