List:       apache-httpd-users
Subject:    Re: [users@httpd] change 404 status for given filespec?
From:       Gary Webster <webster () lexmark ! com>
Date:       2010-04-28 22:22:34

Hello. Thanks for the response.

Would the rewrite be 'lightweight' ?
I don't understand how I would use it to change the status code (from 404)
when the file isn't there, yet not interrupt when the file does show up?

You are talking about "conditional logging" in Apache?  I don't think that
would help me here.  I am not using the Apache log, but rather what
(status) gets returned to NeoLoad, via http(s).

Eric Covener <covener@gmail.com>
04/24/2010 12:22 PM
Please respond to
users@httpd.apache.org

users@httpd.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: [users@httpd] change 404 status for given filespec?

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 12:09 PM, Gary Webster <webster@lexmark.com>
wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I thought this might be simple, but I've not been able to find anything
> which works after much searching/experimenting.
>
> I have an application which submits a job to my webserver, then polls
> every few seconds for the output result file to be available.
> I am using NeoLoad (http://www.neotys.com/) to test my server.
> When the app (& NeoLoad) polls, & the file is not there (most of the
> time), Apache returns a 404 .
> There are many of these, so my NeoLoad results show many 'errors', & I
can
> hardly tell if I have an actual error.
>
> So, I need either someone to tell me how to get NeoLoad to 'filter' 404s
> for a given filespec, or a lightweight way to have Apache rather return
> 204, or some such, for DocumentNotFound for a given filespec.

You could configure mod_rewrite to return 410 (Gone) for some of those
resources if that would help you differentiate.

You could also disable logging for the results file ("conditional
logging")

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com