List:       apache-httpd-users
Subject:    [users@httpd] xml2enc does not appear to be functional with mod-proxy-html 3.1.2
From:       Martin Gerdes <martingrds () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2009-10-28 17:58:59

Background:
I am running Apache as provided for Debian Lenny (2.2.9-10+lenny4) as
a reverse proxy. To that end, I installed libapache2-mod-proxy-html
(3.0.0-1) for URL rewriting.
As the original content is in charset ISO-8859-1, I set the option
"ProxyHTMLCharsetOut *" to get the webpage output as ISO-8859 instead
of UTF-8.

Everything worked just fine, except that a certain packet crashed the
proxy-html module (Paket went into the proxy, no paket came out;
according to the log, a process crashed at precisely that time...)

I emailed the developer, who advised me to try the most recent version
(3.1.2) for which unfortunately no debian package exists. So I spent
half a day figuring out how to update the source debian archive with
the most recent source code. I managed it, installed it, and it
worked, and the module did not crash anymore. :-)

However, after continuing to play around with mod-proxy-html I noticed
that the output stays as utf-8 (having been converted from ISO-8859-1)
instead of being converted back to ISO-8859-1.
Note that 3.0.0 worked with precisely the same configuration (except
that it did not need xml2enc).
I am loading xml2enc, and mod-proxy-html notices that I do: If I
comment the line "LoadModule xml2enc_module
/usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_xml2enc.so" out, I get Lines "[Wed Oct 28
10:42:04 2009] [warn] [client 192.168.0.9] No i18n support found.
Install mod_xml2enc if required , referer: ...".
kind in the apache log file.

If I turn on verbose Logging, and set log level to info, I get Lines
"[Wed Oct 28 11:04:22 2009] [info] [client 192.168.0.9] H: matched
/dwhfe/, substituting /testdwh/, referer: ...", "[Wed Oct 28 11:04:30
2009] [info] [client 192.168.0.9] No content-type; bailing out of
proxy-html filter, referer: ..." and similar entries, so the logging
works.
However, if I grep the file for "charset" (cat
/var/log/apache2/error.log | grep -i "charset") I don't get any
matches, although according to the documention I should.

I have tried changing the value of ProxyHTMLCharsetOut from * to
ISO-8859-1, and to set "ProxyHTMLMeta On". No change.

Unless I have compiled the module incorrectly (I have used the command
"apxs2 -c -I/usr/include/libxml2 mod_xml2enc.c") I conclude that the
output conversion just plainly is not working anymore.

If I have compiled it incorrectly, I would appreciate being given the
proper command to use, as I could not find any documentation to do so
(thus I adjusted the command the debian module used to build
mod_html_proxy).

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. :-(

Martin