List:       apache-httpd-users
Subject:    RE: [users@httpd] Upgrading to PHP5 sent httpd processes through the roof
From:       "Robinson Craig" <Craig.Robinson () nrw ! qld ! gov ! au>
Date:       2007-10-30 22:25:22

Hi Ian,

Some progress...but haven't solved the problem. Essentially, it has
something to do with the way that keep-alive transactions are being
cleaned up. The keep-alive processes are cleaning up eventually...but in
a much longer time than before (I'm talking minutes). Interestingly, for
those pages with NTLM auth on (which requires keep-alive), the process
is in a constantly "replying (W)" status. This effectively takes one of
our processes out of action, and you could imagine, it doesn't take long
to hit your MaxClients threshold.

If you turn keep-alive off, then everything works magnificently. This is
what we have done for one of our sites (yes... A workaround...but we
REALLY need PHP5 up there). Unfortunately, for our intranet we use NTLM
(sadly), so we aren't able to disable keep-alive.

Incidentally, we are using PHP 5.1.6 on Apache 1.3. Thanks for the heads
up about 5.2.x on Apache 2....I'll pay much more attention now.

Cheers, Craig