List:       apache-httpd-users
Subject:    Re: [users@httpd] NameVirtualHosts has no VirtualHosts
From:       John Hicks <johnlist () gulfbridge ! net>
Date:       2006-07-14 18:33:06

Ki Song wrote:
> I've been running an apache/postfix/mysql server for about a year now.
>
> I found out that this error has been going on for a while:
>
> [warn] NameVirtualHost 70.88.225.1:80 has no VirtualHosts

This indicates that you hven't defined any virtual domains to be served
by your webserver under this IP.

> What does this error message mean? Does it mean that VirtualHosts is not
> setup properly? How do I setup virtualhosts properly?

If you aren't serving web pages for your virtual domains, you don't need
to set this up.

> Basically, this is a mail server that we are running in house. The domain
> name of this machine is: mail.knifecenter.com
> It is receiving e-mail properly (MX records are setup properly).
>
> However, certain messages that are sent out from this mail server get this
> error message:
> status=deferred (host mail.python.org sayd: 450 Client host rejected: cannot
> find your hostname, [70.88.225.1] (in reply to RCPT command))

Postfix will generate this message if "reject_unknown_client" is set and
your IP doesn't resolve to an A record. From
http://www.postfix.com/uce.html#smtpd_client_restrictions :

reject_unknown_client - Reject the request when the client IP address
has no PTR (address to name) record in the DNS, or when the PTR record
does not have a matching A (name to address) record.

A 'dig -x' of your IP returns a PTR record to
70-88-225-1-knife-center-md.hfc.comcastbusiness.net, but a dig of
70-88-225-1-knife-center-md.hfc.comcastbusiness.net doesn't return an A
record. Contact your ISP and tell them they need to correct that. The
best way to configure it is to point the IP directly to
mail.knifecenter.com.

> Does this have anything to do with the VirtualHosts error?

Your webserver (Apache) has absolutely nothing to do with your mailserver.

You should have posted this query to the postfix-users@postfix.org list.
See http://www.postfix.com/lists.html:

postfix-users [ you@domain.tld ]' in the body content (not subject).

-J