List:       apache-httpd-users
Subject:    RE: [users@httpd] SSL and reverse proxying
From:       "Anil Dighade" <danil () TechMahindra ! com>
Date:       2006-06-30 6:27:33

Hi Steve,
I tried the same few months back and had prepared one document for
support team and future developers, see if it is useful for you. Copy
pasting only how toinstall and configure apache with ssl part of this
document.

How to Compile and Install apache with mod_ssl:
Steps below would describe how to compile the apache source code on unix
environments. We need to enable the ssl and proxy module support in the
new installation.

Extract the httpd-2.0.55.tar.gz file as  below
gzip -d httpd-2_0_NN.tar.gz
tar xvf httpd-2_0_NN.tar

Configure how to compile and which modules to compile by executing
configure script as below
$cd  httpd-2.0.55
$./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache/live \
> --enable-ssl=static \
> --enable-proxy=static \
> --enable-proxy-http=static

Run following commands to compile and install Apache.

$make
$make install

Here we have compiled the source with static linking so there wont be
separate ".so" files for each modules. Instead it will be built in as
default pack. By doing this we need not have use LoadModule directive to
load the module whilst starting the service.

Configure SSL:
1.	Create Certificates
Goto openssl/bin/ directory and execute below mentioned steps to
generate the key and self signed certificate files.

./openssl req -config openssl.cnf -new -out 172.24.6.57.csr
./openssl rsa -in privkey.pem -out 172.24.6.57.key
./openssl x509 -in 172.24.6.57.csr -out 172.24.6.57.cert -req -signkey
172.24.6.57.key -days 365

Copy 172.24.6.57.key and 172.24.6.57.cert files from openssl/bin/
directory to you apache conf directory.

2.	Configure httpd.conf for SSL
Add following lines at respective location in the httpd.conf file

Listen 443
ServerName 172.24.6.57:443
NameVirtualHost 172.24.6.57:443
SSLMutex default
SSLRandomSeed startup builtin
SSLSessionCache none

<VirtualHost 172.24.6.57:443>
SSLEngine On
SSLCertificateFile
"/data2/basapp/apache/apachessl/conf/ssl/172.24.6.57.cert"
SSLCertificateKeyFile
"/data2/basapp/apache/apachessl/conf/ssl/172.24.6.57.key"
# Proceed with  your proxy and server settings here.
</VirtualHost>

Now I had reverse proxy for redirecting the address to actual webserver,
to achive the I used below directive in my virtual host(Both ssl and
normal ports)

<IfModule mod_proxy.c>
ProxyRequests off
 <Proxy *>
 order deny,allow
 Allow from all
 </Proxy>
 ProxyBadHeader Ignore
 Alias /bas/ "/data2/basapp/apache/apache1/htdocs/"
 Alias /bas "/data2/basapp/apache/apache1/htdocs/"
 ProxyPass	/bas/ http://172.24.226.59:7001/bas/
 ProxyPassReverse	/bas/ http://172.24.226.59:7001/bas/
</IfModule>

Please let me know if you had achieved it in different way.

Regards,
D Anil