List:       apache-httpd-dev
Subject:    Re: Does Apache need Designers?
From:       Nikash SINGH <volunteering () nikashsingh ! org>
Date:       2013-10-16 4:16:40

Hi again,

Thank you *Daniel*, *Rich* and *Steve* for your replies.
I've responded inline and I'll take this conversation off your list and
move it to the trademarks list.
And if you don't mind I'll report back with one quick message once I
have their replies about whether an update to the HTTP project website
is permissible so that anyone wanting to help me update the site knows
how we can proceed.

On 16/10/13 2:50 AM, Daniel Gruno wrote:
> On 10/15/2013 05:43 PM, Rich Bowen wrote:
>> So, a few comments:
>> Are you changes just to CSS, or are they changes to the HTML?

Yup, just CSS, I've kept the changes as minimal as possible to ensure
the least amount of work need be done to make the changes happen.

>>   I also like the changes to the Windows
>> installer. I'm not at all sure what's involved in changing the look of
>> the installer.

Neither am I, but I'd be more than happy to provide the graphics if a
more proficient Developer can help me integrate them into the installer.

>> Second, you've proposed changes to the httpd website, but also to stuff
>> that is at the Foundation level. Any changes to the logo would have to
>> be decided on the Trademarks mailing list - trademarks@apache.org -

Thanks for that Rich, something I overlooked while hunting for relevant
mailing lists.
And while I'd like the /Foundation/ to consider an overall Design
update, I'd also ask the /HTTP project/ to consider its website and
installer, because as I say, improving the HTTP server project is where
most of the interest for me lies in Apache.

>> --
>> Rich Bowen
>> rbowen@rcbowen.com
>> Shosholoza
>>
> I like the sentiment, and I support _some form_ of overhaul of our site.
> I'm not sure I'd go for any of the specific designs proposed, but it's a
> good starting point,

Yeah I can appreciate that, I was trying to work with the existing
styles and language of the Apache website though they are difficult to
work with and dated. I'm happy to iterate because that is always a good
thing, I'm just trying to gauge interest first to see whether change is
welcome.

> If there's not too much disgruntlement, perhaps we can, to paraphrase
> mr. Bush, find a Coalition of Willing that would sit down and look at
> how we could proceed with this? I'm certainly up for it (*writes own
> name down on a napkin*).

Thanks Daniel! I'm certainly willing and I'll keep you (and anyone else
that raises their hand) informed of the discussion on the trademarks list.

> With regards,
> Daniel.

And Steve, I'd be VERY interested in helping with the openSSL website. I
can't say I understand SSL very well, but if that is not a (idealistic)
problem for you we can discuss the possibility off-list? Please send me
a private Email with more details and we'll talk shop =)

In any case, whether my attempts to introduce new Designs are successful
or not, I just want to say thanks to the entire project and that there's
plenty of us who appreciate what you do and what it means to an open
internet.

-Nik